Friday, January 29, 2010

First Sunset


First Sunset...

“Come and see the sunset with us.” Mommy says quietly so we don’t wake up my baby sister.

“Ok. What’s sunset?” I ask. I had heard all about it for a long time but didn’t know what it meant. I always went to bed before mommy went to see it.

“You’ll see.” Mommy says with a big smile.

I caught her excitement. I was finally being able to be with the adults and see something special. Mommy held out her hand and I grab it with a grin. Mommy’s hands are soft and I rub it across my face. She just smiles down at me and tugs me to walk faster.

There are big people everywhere. They are sitting on tables and chairs and on the wall that keeps the beach out there and the patio up here. My gramma is there and grandpa too. They smile and make room for me. Gramma pats her lap and I know I can sit with her. But I want to stand up. All the way up by the wall. That’s where everyone is staring and I want to be closer.

So I let go of mommy’s hand. Gramma starts to call to me but mommy says I’m fine and don’t worry. I just want to see closer and mommy knows that. I don’t like to be far away from mommy so I just keep looking back at her. She stands and smiles. I think she is pretty with all that light from the sun on her. Mommy let me come out with no shoes on. The patio is still hot on my feet but not burning like early in the day. And the sand is tickling my feet. I giggle.

“Watch sweetie.” Mommy whispers. I didn’t notice that she had come right up behind me.

I look out at the bright sun. It is getting lower and lower. It’s getting closer to the ocean. The sky is turning bright pink and purple and that other color that I always forget. But, wait.

“Gramma!” I yell. “Gramma! The sun doesn’t have a lifesaver! It’s going to drown! Grampa you got to save the sun!” I hear some people laugh. Why is it funny that the sun is going to die?

The tingly feeling of excitement is making my tummy hurt now because I am scared for the sun. Mommy squeezes my hand and I look up at her.

“It’s just the sun going to bed. It goes that way every night and comes up on the other side of the ocean. You’ll see tomorrow. The sun will be fine.” She tells me. I sorta believe her. But sometimes she tells me things will be fine and they really aren’t so I am still nervous.

Mommy takes my hand again and we go back to our room. I feel like I have been gone a long time and I was very sleepy. Mommy lies next to me in bed and I know that the sun might not come back up but it’s okay because at least my mommy is holding me in the night time.

1 comment: